£57,500

1936 Bentley 4¼ Litre

Car Details
Body Saloon
Odometer N/A
Miles/kms miles
Fuel type Petrol
Engine N/A
Transmission Manual
Exterior Color Beige and black
Interior Color Red
Upholstery Leather
Steering Rhd
VIN: B126GA
Seller Note

An early 4¼ litre from the first series, this car has a good, honest and correct feel and appearance as well as being nicely sound, clean and tidy. The structure is good, with nice door fits, etc, and the whole car has a certain integrity, difficult to put into words. The paintwork shows its age in places but is more than acceptable, as is the chrome work, and the interior – re-upholstered by Roy Creech many years ago – is still in excellent condition, with delightful maturity. Running well and offered re-commissioned after a period of storage, to include re-wiring, a part new exhaust system (already done), thorough servicing, prepared and MoT tested. Alternatively, we can offer the car at a discount ‘as is’. Chassis No. B126GA Reg. No. CMX 107 Snippets: Surgeon & Solicitor When Dr Alfred Henry Richardson purchased B126GA in February 1936 he did so by part-exchanging B194DG (1935 Bentley 3 ½ Thrupp & Maberly Sports Saloon) which he had earlier part-exchanged his 1934 Bentley 3 ½ B14AH for. Alfred Richardson (1884/1942) graduated from Cambridge in 1907 & prior to WWI he served as a house surgeon at St Thomas’s and then as an assistant to Berkeley Moynihan (noted British abdominal surgeon) in Leeds. During WWI Alfred Richardson was stationed in France with the RAMC in the role as surgical specialist and upon his return from the front he returned to St. Thomas Hospital where he specialised in obstetrics. Dr Richardson resigned from St Thomas’s to concentrate upon his private practice at Nr. 149 Harley Street – his patients included Lavinia Fitzalan-Howard, Duchess of Norfolk who he attended upon the birth of her 1st child, the Lady Anne. In 1939 with start of WWII Alfred Richardson rejoined St. Thomas’s in order to assist with the war wounded, he died in 1942 leaving a widow Olive Blanche Richardson. After a few months in Jack Barclay’s showroom B126GA was acquired by the lawyer & investment trust manager Thomas Johnstone Carlyle Gifford (1881/1975) of Edinburgh. In 1906 T.J. Gifford & Augustus Baillie had formed the legal practice of Baillie & Gifford, this financial success of this small team was to come from their contacts in the rubber plantation business which enable them to start the Straits Mortgage & Trust Company, 4 years later this became the Scottish Mortgage & Trust Company. By 1939 T.J. Gifford was on the boards of twenty-two companies and during WWII he advised the Government on the acquisition & disposal of overseas investments, The Times newspaper described him as “ special British Treasury Agent in charge of the sale of British holdings of American securities” (DSBB). His other interests outside of the legal and financial world included golf, bridge and a breeding Hereford cattle (not successfully), T. J. Gifford was widowed in 1958 with the death of his wife Maud Oriel Riata (daughter of Charles H. Pearson), he remarried in 1960 to Sophia Mary Wharton Millar.