1926 Bentley 3 Litre
An excellent car with original engine, gearbox, steering box etc, all matching numbers, and with its original Gurney Nutting open body – an almost unheard of combination! Has been with the last owner for twenty years, during which time the car has successfully participated in many club events, rallies, etc, including Peking-Paris and Vancouver to Anchorage (and back) in 2009/10, as well as events in Slovakia, Italy (Via Flaminia 2012), France and Spain. Well cared-for, fully mechanically refurbished in 2010 and re-painted & re-upholstered in 2011. Hood, tonneau cover and hood bag are all in excellent condition, and there is a set of side screens for inclement weather if you are not feeling hardy, as well as a fold down 'Auster' screen for the benefit of rear seat passengers. The overall cosmetic appearance and finish is very smart and sharp, but at the same time not too smart to use and enjoy – just right! Lamps, wheels, instruments, in fact virtually all aspects of the car are pleasingly correct, although the addition of a Kenlowe fan and a modern engine oil filter conversion are very sensible updates. The history file includes a great deal of invoices and correspondence relating to the car, covering the last 45 years! A very well sorted, well and truly ‘tried & tested’ motor car, ready for its next adventure.
Chassis No. PH1465 Reg No. YO 6962 Price £295,000
Snippets: Captain Tom Elder Barr Smith – Ewing
The 1st owner of PH1465 was Tom Elder Barr Smith (1904/1968) a scion of the Barr Smith & Elder families of Australia. Robert Barr Smith & Joanna Elder first son Tom (1863/1941) started working for the family firm after he graduated from Cambridge University in 1885, in 1924 his son, also called Tom was sent from Australia to study at Trinity Hall, Cambridge but after 4 years and several 3 litre Bentleys later Tom Jr did not graduate! Tom was then sent to America to continue his business education, after which he returned to Australia and the family concern. PH1465 was Tom Elder Barr Smith’s 2nd Bentley 3 litre and in 1928 he sold it to Mrs. Ewing of Surbiton prior to taking delivery of his 3rd Bentley chassis No. FT3217. Alfred Ewing was an engineer & his connection with Australia was that in 1919 he was a director & subscriber of the short lived British Australian Engineering Co Ltd. This was formed in order to permit British companies to carry on the businesses of manufacturers, merchants, contractors, mechanical, mining & electrical engineers etc with Herbert C. Siddeley & R. W. Wild. Other directors of BAE Co Ltd included John A. Hirst, Robert S. Brailsford, H. J. Marshall & W. Newall, the company was placed into liquidation in 1924. It is unknown how long PH1465 was with the Ewing family as it is next heard of in 1961 with Mr. A. L. Starkie then in 1965 when it was acquired by L. A. Morgan of Hale. During the 1970s PH1465 was with A Dunkerley of Summerseat, Bury and H Pepperall of St Neots until 1982 when William (Bill) Fone of Bear Place Farm, Hare Hatch purchased the Bentley for the grand sum of £18,250; Bear Place Farm means “Swine Pasture” and Hare Hatch is an old gate into the Royal Windsor Forest. Bill Fone kept PH1465 until1999 when it was acquired by its owner of the last twenty years.